Please make enquiries elsewhere - We apologise for the inconvenience

Accident at work – What to do

All employers should have set procedures to deal with any accidents that occur in the workplace. The procedures should be communicated clearly to all employees so that both parties may follow the measures in place.

The following 4 step guide sets out what you should do following an accident and how you can protect you interests if you decide to make a claim.

Step 1. Medical attention and advice

1. Medical attention and advice

From the official HSE website: The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981 require employers to provide adequate and appropriate equipment, facilities and personnel to enable first aid to be given to employees if they are injured or become ill at work. These Regulations apply to all workplaces including those with five or fewer employees and to the self-employed

Your employer should have a trained first aider on site who should attend to you urgently. You should then attend on the local hospital A&E department or your GP.   Medical attention is vital for any person suffering an injury and from a legal perspective recording the injury and treatment in this way can also be very important.

2. Exchange details

2. Exchange details

All employers should have an accident book on work premises. The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) makes this obligatory. The book known as the BI150 is a valuable document that can be inspected by health & safety representatives or legal representatives.   If you have suffered any kind of injury that you believe is related to your job, you must report this to your safety representative or line manager. Not all injuries come from accidents – you should report any INJURY you suffer not just those resulting from an accident.

This can be crucial in any legal claim that may follow.

3. Witnesses & other evidence

3.Witnesses & other evidence

If possible record names of any witnesses who saw or heard the injury / accident happen.   You may wish to take a photograph of the area where the accident occurred, or the machine / equipment etc that may have caused it.   Make notes of what happened and why. The details could be important and people can very often forget vital information.

If you have been injured at work and require immediate accident claim assistance:    To make a written enquiry – just complete the brief form below. Our team will respond to all written enquiries within 1 hour 8am-8pm.

4. Seek legal advice

4. Seek legal advice

You may be entitled to claim compensation for your injuries and loss of earnings.   Many employers do not pay earnings during an absence (only statutory sick pay) and you could be losing out considerably by not making  a claim   You can obtain free and impartial advice from The Claims Connection on your particular case.

Farm accident claims

If you have been injured whilst working on a farm you could be entitled to compensation. Speak to our specialist farming accident solicitors today to discuss your case. You can make farm machinery injury claims if you have been injured by any of the machinery found on a farm. If you are not a British national and have been injured whilst working on a farm in the UK we can assist you too with foreign farm worker claims.

For comprehensive information on Health & Safety in the workplace from the official government website, please visit:

involving equipment – unsafe work premises accidents with scaffolding or ladders inadequate training accidents at work Leeds report an accident – midlands claims Liverpool industrial injuries work injury manual handling operations factory personal injuryaccident at work manchesterwales slipping accidents at work back injury at workwork related hernia


Call us now on ------- or use the form below to request a callback

Your Name

Area of Law

What time would you prefer us to contact you?

Your Email Address

Telephone Number




Housing association fined after worker injured in fall

  A housing association in Coventry has been has been fined after an employee was… more

Housing association fined after worker injured in fall

  A housing association in Coventry has been has been fined after an employee was… more

Surgeon Ian Paterson – More victims come forward

Surgeon Ian Paterson: at least 103 further patients come forward. A leading law firm has confirmed… more

Request a Callback