Please make enquiries elsewhere - We apologise for the inconvenience

Hit and Run Compensation

sinister Hit and Run car driver

This legal advice website is managed by TO BE CONFIRMED authorised and REGULATIONS TBA. Our service is dedicated to providing advice to victims of hit and run accident claims in England and Wales – call us now for an informal chat about your case on HELPLINE TBA

Hit and Run accident compensation claims explained

There are many thousands of hit and run accidents every year on UK roads. Most fortunately do not involve personal injury but if you are unlucky enough to be in a road traffic incident with someone who leaves the scene, you might be left wondering what rights you have as the innocent party.


Fortunately, in the UK there is still a way that you can make a successful claim if the other driver fails to stop at the scene.

Fortunately, there is still a way that you can make a successful claim if you are the victim of an incident where the other driver fails to stop at the scene. The Motor Insurers Bureau (or MIB) is a non-profit organisation that was set up and is funded by UK insurers specifically for the purpose of helping hit and run accident victims. You do not necessarily need a lawyer to assist you with a claim against the MIB but it is recommended that you seek representation to ensure you are fully compensated. The MIB are after all, just like any other insurance company: they do not offer you a blank cheque, you need to know you’re rights and understand the process.

Fortunately, in the UK there is still a way that you can make a successful claim if the other driver fails to stop at the scene.

Hit and Run claims – What you need to know

All the information you need to make a claim following your road accident

No win No fee Hit and Run Compensation

Find out how our specialist No win No fee solicitor service can help you and your family recover compensation when you have suffered a hit and run injury.


We guarantee that if your case is unsuccessful, we will make no charge.

Hit by a vehicle that did not stop?

If you have suffered a personal injury following a collision with a vehicle and the driver does not stop or leaves the scene quickly – you can still claim compensation for your injuries. Such incidents are known as “Hit and Run” cases.

The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) a body funded by UK motor insurers has been set up to provide much needed support and compensation for victims of hit and run driver accident.

How can you make a claim against a Hit and Run driver?

The MIB will deal with your claim but subject to very strict criteria:

You must report the matter to the police within 14 days (personal injury claims only)

You must make a claim to the MIB within 9 months of the incident

What type of “Hit and Run” accidents do the MIB deal with?

The MIB will handle claims involving, vehicle drivers, their passengers, motorcyclists, pedal cyclists and pedestrians. The vast majority of cases involve car drivers and front seat passengers.

How long do Hit & Run cases take to settle?

Minor injury cases can be concluded within 6 months. But where an injury is serious (to you or other parties involved in the accident) or where police investigations continue, it is likely that the claim may take much longer to conclude. Once investigations into liability are complete you then have to assess the injuries sustained and this can involved medical investigations which again take time.

Hit and Run collision in the rain


The key thing to remember here is that getting the right settlement and ensuring your needs are well catered for, is far more important than settling the case quickly.


Will my Hit and Run claim be paid in full?

In most cases the MIB will pay you 100% of your compensation (Note this does not mean that you will receive the whole amount as your legal fees also need to be contributed to) but where liability is disputed they may reduce the payment to reflect any negligence that may apply to you. Not all Hit and Run accidents are completely the fault of the driver who leaves the scene. Whilst it may be somewhat hard to stomach, the MIB take the view that when it comes to liability, the hit and run motorist has a right to defend himself. Ultimately if they can argue for a percentage reduction they will of course do this but not without substantive reasons.


What you should do after a hit and run accident

  1. Try your best to record the registration plate of the responsible party’s vehicle – check any number against this database Try to record details of any witnesses who could be crucial to your claim.
  2. Report the case to the police as soon as possible if they are not already aware of the accident. This is of great importance to the MIB and your claim could be refused if you do not follow this advice.
  3. Ensure that you receive medical attention if you have suffered injuries in the accident. A hospital or GP record is useful in the MIB process. However the primary objective is to make sure you get adequate medical advice when it is needed.
  4. If possible – take photos of the accident scene (or ask a friend to do so) to assist with any liability dispute.
  5. Obtain a repair estimate on your vehicle. An engineer will probably inspect the damage at some point during the claim but an estimate provides a useful guide for repair costs.
  6. Contact us for a free, no obligation enquiry about your case. You may be able to claim compensation on a no win, no fee basis.


How do I make a Hit and Run claim?


Uninsured driver hit and run

The MIB also deal with uninsured driver claims. It is now possible to claim both personal injury compensation and property damage under the MIB hit and run accident scheme (known as the Untraced Drivers Agreement) subject to some restrictions.


Why choose us?

We are specialists in Hit and Run claims and can help you claim for damages that you perhaps thought would otherwise be impossible to receive. It is important that you involve the police and properly report the accident to them. In the majority of cases, the police will be unable to do very much because of a lack of evidence but nevertheless the MIB (The Motor Insurers Bureau) insist on a police record of the event. Please be aware that the one drawback in dealing with the MIB under the Untraced Agreement is that they do not pay your legal fees – they merely make a contribution towards them. For this reason we charge a fee equal to 25% of any compensation awarded in order to deal with a hit & run case.

The MIB have recently launched a Facebook campaign called”Drive Insured” – join the campaign by visiting:

Don’t be the victim twice over – if you have been involved in an accident where the responsible driver failed to stop – claim what is rightfully yours.


Child victims of hit and run accidents now have until their 21st birthday to bring claim.

This brings them in line with the standard civil procedure set out in the Limitation Act 1980. The case of Byrne v (1) MIB  & (2) Secretary of State for Transport [2008] refers.



Call us now on ------- or use the form below to request a callback

Your Name

Area of Law

What time would you prefer us to contact you?

Your Email Address

Telephone Number




Housing association fined after worker injured in fall

  A housing association in Coventry has been has been fined after an employee was… more

Housing association fined after worker injured in fall

  A housing association in Coventry has been has been fined after an employee was… more

Surgeon Ian Paterson – More victims come forward

Surgeon Ian Paterson: at least 103 further patients come forward. A leading law firm has confirmed… more

Request a Callback